Designing a Hardware solution based on Sigfox?
We have you covered!
In a few words, Sigfox is providing a global connectivity solution designed especially for the IoT
- Simple : No configuration, no pairing, no signaling
- Low Power: Very low energy consumption, allowing years of battery powered autonomy
- Low Cost: Hardware and connectivity at a fraction of the costs of cellular connectivity
- Small Data: Sending only small data packets, providing instant visibility of assets and conditions
How to get started?
To get started with Sigfox, you will need:
- A Sigfox-ready module, transceiver or development kit
- A valid subscription. Development kits and evaluation boards come with a one-year subscription included
- Be in a covered area. (See current coverage here)
Details for Sigfox in AsiaPac (RCZ4)
- Frequency bands: 920.8Mhz Uplink, 922.3Mhz Downlink (License-free ISM band)
- Messages: Up to 140 uplink messages per device per day up to 4 downlink messages per device per day (device initiated)
- Maximum Payload format per message: 12 bytes Uplink from device, 8 bytes downlink to device (Device ID Key and time stamp are included in the Sigfox message header)
- Data rate: 600 bps
- Maximum power radiated per device: 22 dBm (ERP)
- Battery life: Up to 20 years depending on number of connections, sensor type and size
- Subscription fee: as low as US$2 /device/year (depending on volume of devices to be connected and number of connections per day)
The Sigfox network makes use of Ultra-Narrow Band(UNB) modulation, and operates in license-free sub-GHz ISM frequency bands.
This protocol offer a great resistance to jamming and standard interferers. Sigfox complies with local regulations in the selection of center frequency, power output and duty cycles.
|Europe, Middle East (RCZ1)||868MHz||ETSI EN300-220|
|North America & Brazil (RCZ2)||902MHz||FCC part 15|
|South America, South East Asia, HK, ANZ (RCZ4)||920MHz||ANATEL 506, AS/NZS 4268|
Sending a message
There is no signaling or negotiation between a device and a receiving station.
The device decides when to send its message, selecting a pseudo-random frequency.
The network detects the incoming messages, then demodulates, decodes and validates it before passing the message on to the Sigfox Cloud for deduplication and security.
The message is then available in the Sigfox cloud, and forwarded to any 3rd party IoT cloud platform chosen by the user through API.
Sigfox has built strong security mechanisms,based on 4 pillars (privacy, integrity, authentication & confidentiality) at every levels (from devices, to radio communication to cloud to API).
Every message is scrambled and authenticated using a private key. Additionally, sequence number is used to ensure integrity of the device.
This prevents DDoS attack, spoofing, alteration or replay of genuine messages.
Sigfox makes its IP available at no cost to silicon and module vendors. This strategy has encouraged leading silicon and module vendors to integrate Sigfox in their existing assets, giving solution enablers a wide choice of very competitively priced components. Sigfox enables bi-directional as well as mono-directional communications and can co-exist with other communication protocols, both short range (NFC, RFID, BLE, Zigbee, Z-wave,...) and long range (2G, 3G, 4G,..).
One of the key elements of the Sigfox strategy (aside of low costs) is to continue to push the boundaries for energy consumption lower and lower, which is a major enabler to unleash the full potential of the Internet of Things.
The increasing number of IoT devices calls for better interoperability solutions, which can only come through standardisation. As the first Internet of Things operator, Sigfox has taken a lead in this process through the foundation of dedicated standardisation groups within recognised standards bodies such as ETSI and FCC.
If you decide to create your Sigfox ready devices, Thinxtra can support and guide you (for free) to fast track your solutions. Please visit the Thinxtra Partner Network to register and join the list of our local partners.