Simply because they are long range (so an object could be sitting 20km away), they require low power to connect (objects can last 10 years on very small batteries) and cost of connection is very low (as low as $2/year/device).
However they are limited in terms of size of messages you can send. Clearly they are not made for sending audio & video files. So with such networks, you can start wireless connecting any kind of sensors directly to the cloud. Sensors such as temperature, humidity, battery status, GPS location,… and the beauty of it, you can even start having objects communicating together on pre-programmed scenarios.
For example: If your water meter was connected and sensor was detecting a leak. Instead of just sending you an alert message, it could decide to act on another type of sensor (actuator) to cut a specific water access before it is too late. It could also contact directly the water company to fix the problem. This kind of solutions or scenarios is opening a new world of automatisation that was never possible before because it was too costly & too power hungry.
WHY DID WE SELECT SIGFOX?
In short, because it is the most affordable technology, the less power hungry, the simplest and the most mature technology of all LPWAN technologies on the market. It is also the only one with nationwide deployments and not just in 1 country but 18 nationwide networks already fully operational and 16 more to come in 2016 including USA (100 cities by end of 2016), Latin America (Brazil already started deployment in May 2016), UAE (Oman started in April 2016), South East Asia (Taiwan & Singapore started on July 2016) and of course ANZ (deployment started early April 2016, see Thintxra’ s news). For the long story,
- A specialist at your service: SIGFOX is 100% focused on M2M and IoT.
- The lowest prices on the market: SIGFOX offers the most competitive mobile communication services for Machine-to-Machine and IoT applications.
- Reliable, long-term connection: Focused on M2M applications with a very long life, SIGFOX solution uses so little energy that your equipment can provide reliable connectivity in a simple battery, up to 20 years.
- An eco-friendly M2M solution: The SIGFOX network is designed to minimise its environmental footprint, with small antennas (70cm high), ultra-low power consumption (both network and modem level) and ultra-low electromagnetic pollution.
- Easy, all the way: Easy to integrate, compact and affordable modem solutions that are available through SIGFOX partners. Data transfers are internet ready: your data is delivered directly to your IT system using standard web services.
- Safely connected anywhere: Despite working with a very low energy consumption, the unique SIGFOX radio technology makes it possible to access underground equipment and connect efficiently. The SIGFOX network has already been tested and approved for (business) critical applications, and it is designed to provide robust and secure communications with a high level of QoS. You can check the status of your devices and communication levels anywhere and anytime via the SIGFOX control interface.
- Built for your success: Start with a Proof of Concept before deploying on a large scale, and whatever your volumes, the SIGFOX solution is highly scalable and the network is designed to handle billions of connections.
- Ready for IoT: The SIGFOX ultra affordable, ultra low power consumption solution has already been adopted and successfully used in many industrial M2M/IoT applications, in more than 20 countries.
- The world’s first mobile network provider specifically for M2M and IoT.
Talk to us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org